Wednesday, October 30, 2019

NOW SHE HAS A FRIEND


Autumn in Southern New England came early and hung around longer than anyone around here remembers. September and October were perfect. Just the right amount of rain and sun, warm and cool. A little too warm for my liking, though. The damned yellowjackets, always trouble at this time of year, were in a constant state of confusion. 
"Warm? Cold? Make up your freaking mind!"
I could hear them cry out in their evil little yellow and black voices.

They're ready to go to ground for the winter, but can't quite do it yet. The woods can be very dangerous at this time of year. And in late October in New England, anything can happen.
So I was on guard that day.

While doing my usual Autumn cleanup around the property, there was some scratching and then squishy noises from the front yard. I heard it because I was not operating the weed eater yet; as I said, the temperatures in southern New England haven't dipped far enough to kill off the damned yellowjackets, so it's pretty quiet here at The Farm.
So I heard the squishing and went to investigate.
Lo and behold, an Eyeball Monster had come to visit. It told me it was a night creature, but needed light, so I did what I could to accommodate it. Apparently its name is Harvey.


Harvey D. Eyeball Congeries

Kinda cute in a squishy sort of way. Smells weird, though.
But when the sun started to go down and I gave it some light to make it comfortable, it shrieked and screamed.
Then SHE arrived.

I hadn't seen Samara Morgan since last Hallow's Eve. It's when she usually comes to visit.
I only didn't know she knew HIM.
And apparently has some control.

As night fell, they began to dance.

And chant.

And sing squishy, disgusting songs like nothing of this earth.

Now they do it every night. Dancing and singing, shrieking and screaming. And scaring the hell out of the neighbors.

If only I could get the yellowjackets to listen. Maybe they'd leave.





1 comment: